[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and ef

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects at RF.
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:09:46 -0400

With such a high amount of copper theft some AM radio stations in Puerto
Rico choose to replace their radial field with inexpensive buried barbed
wire. They would plow it into the ground with a Ditch Witch and
vibrating plow hollow blade attachment.  The large spool of barbed wire
would be mounted on the back.  I was told that his was a relatively fast
process.  But I have no knowledge of how this would perform compared to
the same amount of bare copper wire in the ground. At least the problem
of cooper theft seems to have been abated.   At the AM radio station
here in St. Croix 200 feet of 4 times AWG 4 was fed from the generator
building to the transmitter location.  A few years ago some cooper
thieves at night threw the main breaker and cut the wires at both ends.
It appears from the tire tracks that the a truck just tied the wires to
the trailer hitch and drove down the road pulling out the 3 phase feed
from the conduit.  These wires most likely were coiled up and later at
some remote location doused with gas to remove the insulation.

So ...back on the subject.....what about barbed wire for radials?

Herb, KV4FZ