Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn TA-55

To: CHARLES MORRISON - N1RR <n1rr@comcast.net>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Rohn TA-55
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 18:22:47 -0800
A good question.  As I understand EHS guys

1. The stretch is negligible and not considered in the guy analysis. The catenary sag is subject to the pretension and thus affects the sway of the tower in wind. 2. The tower section has a maximum compressive strength, it is specified in the Rohn spec for each type of tower. 3. In a no wind condition, the sum of the tower weight above, antenna etc. weights, and downward guy forces create a compressive load, which is maximum on the bottom section. The guy forces sum by (# of guys per level) * (guy tension *sine(angle of guy to ground)) and add them up for all guy levels

So when you double guy at a level eg with the torque arm stabilizer, if the same pretension is used the downward compressive force doubles for that level. Since you are considering the top level then the sine(angle with ground) is the largest of all the guy levels. So switching to six 1/4 EHS and 600# initial tension would yield the same compressive force and breaking strength at the top level. Except if the tower is twisting a lot, then it's not so clear.

Whether more than 1100# is ok or not needs a PE analysis of the structure with the antenna loads. 6600# total top 5/16" guy tension may be ok or not. 130mph design is "3+ sigma" out in amateur radio towers, best consult a pro with the sw tools to do the analysis. My 140' R65 tower with double guys at two levels (60 & 120') was PE specified to not exceed 600# pretension per guy with 6700# strength guys, 6 at each level, 90mph design, 110' base to anchors.

Grant KZ1W