Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase
From: Lee <L@w0vt.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:02:30 -0600
I can tell you horror stories about why what you say is BS. I was a sales guy for a very large company. My company was the market leader in our field. I eventually retired in this job and had a very successful career. After a time I no longer wanted to waste my time dealing with the government. They were a waste of my time. They would have no knowledge, pick my brain, have me layout what was needed and then bid. They then would go to others to bid after I did all the layout work for them. (They did this because I worked for the market leader.) In most cases they would then pick the lowest bidder or pick a minority vendor. They would send this stuff around the world never being concerned if there was any support after the purchase from these other companies. My company had world wide support but that meant nothing. One time the Air Force didn't buy my product, a leak detector, because I had convinced them the product really worked and they did not want their contamination discovered. Another time the Navy didn't buy my product because my bid came in lower then anyone else and it was too low a bid. Their rules somehow said the price of the purchase had to be over some minimum amount. (Never mind I had the market leader product that was better then anyone else s product. One time the Feds asked me what temperature the paint would burn off my cabinet. Nobody in the world ever concerned themselves with this before. $400 hammers? After dealing with all their crap the price of the hammer should really have been $800. The government buyers on the whole were ignorant and could never make it in the real world. After I started just throwing their bid requests in the trash I started getting them calling me almost begging me to bid. No thanks, I made a nice living dealing with non government companies who viewed me as a friend and valued partner. The bottom line was the government wastes a vendors time so much because of their ignorance and goofy requirements, you have to bid higher then normal to cover all these extra costs if you ever want to make any money off of them. Then the final straw, the government can break you while you wait forever to get them to pay you for their purchase. They are notorious for not paying on a timely manner. One time I called on a Fed buyer in another town on a Friday. He wanted to see me at 1 PM. I got there at 11 AM, (Long story why) and checked in. The minority secretary told me he would be with me shortly. I asked "pardon me" every hour. By 4 PM they finally realized he left early morning as he was not feeling very well. He wasn't even there! Then I had to spend another 4 hours getting home. Don't get me started! I could tell you stories like this for a long time. No, my respect for Government buyers is not too high! However, dealing with large private companies was a blessing. I loved dealing with them as they were all fair, honest, bright, and considerate.

Lee, w0vt