Re: [TowerTalk] noise profiles...

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] noise profiles...
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 20:46:00 -0500
Jim, sorry I responded to wrong person but thanks for comments.

Sniffing out RFI is almost an art form. I worked in Land Mobile Radio for 10 years and did a lot of sniffing in the 150 to 800 MHZ spectrum. I have also done a lot on the ham radio frequencies.

It helps to have a step attenuator to put between the antenna and the receiver when sniffing. I have also ridden with the FCC on one occasion when they verified one of my finds and as a result the low power (1 KW) TV station was taken off the air due to interference to Public Safety Radio System (Cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, VA).

Finding the interference in ham radio is only half the battle. Half the time the home owner will not believe his home could be interfering with anything. With all the new electronic gadgets and computerized appliances things will only get worse.

73,
Ron W8RJL
Ham radio active since 1954.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>