Re: [TowerTalk] hardline prices (was [Elecraft] 90 ' of 1/2" Andrew Heli

To: Raymond Benny <rayn6vr@gmail.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hardline prices (was [Elecraft] 90 ' of 1/2" Andrew Heliax FSJ4-50B and 2 F4PNM new in box connectors FOR SALE)
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 15:35:47 -0500
On 1/27/17 3:10 PM, Raymond Benny wrote:

> I will be buying a 250 - 300 ft spool of 1/2" hardline from a local
> salvage/surplus store for $100. Guess you would consider it NOS. The wooden
> spools themselves are in poor shape. Not certain that it is Andrews coax,
> if not, its a very good copy.

The RFS/Eupen/Andrews are basically the same cable now.  The AVA cable from
andrews is different and actually a lower grade IMO.

> Like John says, you buy it when you find a good bargain. Same with
> connectors; at swap meets, used connectors are typically no more that $5
> each. I guess if someone needs some hardline now, and could pick it up
> locally, yours would be a fair price.

That's what I try to do, but locally I've been seeing people think they have
gold in 7/8" or 1/2" hardline.

The reality is RFS 1/2 is about $1 per foot from Tessco, and 7/8 is $1.98
today.  1/2" N male connectors are $11 and 7/8 N Male are $24 for the RFS
ones.  The connectors both require no soldering and are loads easier to put on
than messing with the old type.  For the larger cable, DIN's are even cheaper.

> You can also often find 7/8", 100 - 130 ft  hardline pieces  for about $1 a
> foot. Sometimes they may have a connector on one end included.

My take on anything used is you're taking a chance (and yes, new on a spool
that's been sitting outside for 10 years is used) and must be priced
accordingly.  50% off new should be the never to exceed price IMO.  I won't
even mess with the used connectors for anything other smaller than 1-5/8" as
they cost so little for new.

I've seen some strange things at hamfests as it pertains to pricing.  The
wildest was the Tessco weather proofing kits ($12) for $30.  "But it's new in
the bag!"

73's

--
Bryan Fields