Re: [TowerTalk] 6 or 8 ele 20 meter beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 or 8 ele 20 meter beam
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 17:07:13 -0400
What did famed moon-bounce king Sam Harris used to say....? "If your antenna stays up its not big enough" ☺

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 12:12:24 -0700
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 6 or 8 ele 20 meter beam

I am looking to side mount and maybe rotate a 6 or 8 element 20 meter
beam would anyone care to share their designs?  I have a bunch of
aluminum itching to become an antenna!

W0MU

##  side mount on what type of tower ?    Maybe rotate  ?   If it
is fixed in direction,  you are stuck in one direction, with half power
points well  below 48 degs.

##  dave is right, stacking a pair of small yagis  would provide the
same aprx amount of gain.  A pair of 204BAs, at 40 lb each, is
a lot easier than  60-88 ft long boom monsters.   Then you can use
the typ  top – bottom – both config.   The monster yagi, at the wrong
height for that particular  time of day leaves you with no options.

##  with a boom in the 60-88 ft long range, the  tq issue on the tower has
to be dealt with.  Along with ice + snow loading, ice + wind at the same time.
If the swr is off a bit, then what, haul the monster back down ?   Any type of
feedline  or balun issue, and again, it has to come back down.   There is  big,
then
there is too big.

Jim  VE7RF