Re: [TowerTalk] Coax stripping tool for crimp connectors

To: "'N2TK, Tony'" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax stripping tool for crimp connectors
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:17:24 -0500
I use this stripper from RF Industries for Bury-FLEX:

http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/drawings/RFA-4087.pdf

It's adjustable, so it'll work on any pretty-much any 1/2" coax.

You can buy one here:

https://www.rfparts.com/tools/tools-strippingmanual/rfa4087.html

You have to be careful to  match the crimp connector to the cable type. I
use  these for Bury-FLEX UHF crimp connectors:

https://www.rfparts.com/rfu507-si.html
drawing with strip dimensions and recommended crimp die sizes:
http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/drawings/RFU-507-SI.pdf

With Bury-FLEX you have to be careful not to bend, kink or spread the
exposed center conductor -- it's a very tight fit. Usually I have to twist
the jacket/foam plug left by the stripper as I remove it from the cable,
which tightens the center conductor. Might be worth inquiring whether RF
Industries (or anyone else) makes a UHF crimp connector that has a slightly
larger center conductor shaft.

I use these for Bury-FLEX N crimp connectors:

https://www.rfparts.com/rfn1006-3i.html
drawing with strip dimensions and recommended crimp die sizes:
http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/drawings/RFN-1006-3I.pdf

I find these much easier to install than the UHF crimp connectors.

The notes on both drawings aren't very clear about whether to crimp or
solder the center conductor. My interpretation is that you can crimp cables
with larger center conductors, like Buryflex, LMR-400, 9913, etc., but
should solder cables that have smaller center conductors, like RG8/U. If you
choose to solder the N connector, don't solder through the small hole in the
shaft. That's just to make sure the cable is fully inserted. If you solder
there the pin might not snap into the connector. Solder the pin at the base
where the center conductor enters.

FWIW, I always solder the UHF center conductor and always crimp the N center
conductor.

Note that rfu507-SI and rfn-1006-3I connectors are in the Davis RF list of
connectors recommended for Bury-FLEX.

73, Dick WC1M