Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter MOXON Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter MOXON Yagi
From: Lee <L@w0vt.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 12:22:24 -0600
Looking at the Mini MOXON design, I see the boom length is around the standard .2 wavelengths for a driven element and reflector. I know for regular Yagis, beyond .2 wavelength you don't get much more gain. Adding more elements does add noticeable gain. Of course you cant easily add elements to a Moxon Yagi unless you add considerable length to the boom as extra elements can't be added between a 2 element design. So why then does the 2 element Moxon Yagi designed by W6NL use a 27 foot boom for two elements? Seems like a lot of extra big time weight for next to nothing in added gain. I would think maybe the W7XL mini design could be improved slightly by maybe keeping the boom at .2 wavelength, extending the elements and then reducing the helical inductors to maintain resonance. Then also maybe using Delta Matching at the 50 ohm points. Possibly even wrapping the fiberglass tubing before the helical loading too to improve bandwidth. Just my thoughts on all this. But, still don't understand a 27 foot boom for the W6NL design.

Lee, w0vt