[TowerTalk] Chalk up 1 for the AV640

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chalk up 1 for the AV640
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 12:00:41 -0500
With work bogged down on the LM470, I hooked up the AV640. I had a terrible noise the previous 2 or 3 times I turned the rig on, but this morning 40 was in pretty good shape, so I decided to try 20.

Tuning around I heard YU1JW with a good strong signal. I thought, what the heck and gave my call once. He was 5/9 here and he gave me a generous 5/7. I say generous because he had a devil of a time getting the 8 in my call and this was running barefoot to the AV640 mounted at 25 feet on a tilt over mast

The previous contact in the log was 9Y4LAS on 7.180 at 5:15 AM EST, or 10:15 UTC. on Feb 13th in 2012.
The log doesn't say whether it was on the half wave sloper or the AV640

I mentioned this as I've seen several questions on the AV640. I would point out that these are from a single station and it would take many contacts from many stations using the AV640 for a meaningful sample, but Ive had good results using that make and model.

Roger (K8RI)

---