Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:45:49 -0400
QST also exposed the so call Max-Com balun that claimed when hooked to a dipole (length not specified) it would give less than 2:1 from 1.8 to 30 Mhz. And they were correct since that's what it did. Only problem was that inside the device was a toaster elements that sort of replicated a light bulb load or dummy load inside a potted box. QST refused to advertise it after they showed an X-ray of the wires inside the potted box. Before the word got around the company out of Florida was selling them like hot cakes. The hook up was exceptionally quiet and did produce QSO's with the attached dipole radiating some of the residual RF. But the buyers didn't when they weren't getting out all that good. Important lesson that many hams still don't seem to understand: There is nothing you can connect to the end of your coax (except an expensive automatic antenna tuner and enough ferite chokes to stop feed line pickup and radiation) that will increase your radiated signal.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ