Re: [TowerTalk] Yardley Beers' Symmetrical Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yardley Beers' Symmetrical Antenna
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:24:05 -0400
Perhaps the simplest antenna to cover both 160 and 80 is the Inverted L which is 3/8th wave on 160 and turns out to be 3/4 wave on 80. The feed point on 160 can be tuned to resonance with a series variable capacitor about 350 pf and on 80 the capacitor is merely bridged to give you a reasonable match on 80. Like any inverted "V" it is good to have as much vertical portion height as possible. If the support is a metal tower you should try to get some distance of the inverted l from it....at least 30-50 feet to avoid interaction. The top portion can slope down to near ground level if that is the best you can do. I would start with a total wire length of 190 feet and fold back the ends until you got the best match for 80.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ