Re: [TowerTalk] QST Cover

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] QST Cover
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 10:33:20 -0800
On Mon,2/27/2017 10:03 AM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
I have ZERO patience for League bashing.  What have YOU done for the League?
I appreciate that they have saved our spectrum space and maintain a presence in
Washington.
The dues are laughably low...less than a week’s wine, beer and peanut budget
for me.
I am astounded that Steve, Ward, and the tech staff keep managing to crank out
great (mostly) pubs in the face of the monumental indifference of 95% of the
members.

I mostly agree, Wilson. But -- when we were young, QST was edited by active hams who were technically competent, and hams actually built stuff from the articles and it worked. Today QST is edited by magazine people, and the guiding principle seems to be increasing the number of licensed hams, thus increasing the clout of their lobbying efforts to "save the hobby." In most issues, the only material that one can pretty much take to the bank is written by Ward Silver, N0AX, a smart engineer and great operator who also edits the Handbook and the Antenna Book. I regularly cringe at the technical errors in nearly every issue by other authors.