Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 09:35:35 -0800
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 07:43:32 -0800
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com

To my mind, the big advantage of directional antennas on HF is not so
much forward gain, but the fact that they have nulls that can be steered
to block undesired signals.

You can have fairly big phasing errors and the forward gain doesn't
change much (tenths of a dB), but a phasing error can kill the null
depth. I suspect that this is why some people swear by 4-squares and
others swear at them.

## If the 4 sq is used on TX only, any nulls is sorta a moot point.
On a yagi, even with lousy FB or FS,  at least they will have a good null
off each side.  Usually you dont hear of folks with 80m or 40m yagis,
who also use a dedicated  RX ant.

Yes, they'll have a null "somewhere" on each side. And given that a Yagi is a bunch of dipoles, off the end of the dipole is a likely candidate.

The same is theoretically true of a 4 square.. you can get N-1 nulls with N elements.

In the long run, I think the strategy will evolve to "get some forward gain on Tx, and use nulls on Rx to reject interferers" which is sort of: A) do approximate phasing on Tx, e.g. a 90 degree hybrid, which gets you the best forward gain without superdirectivity
B) use a software defined radio approach to generate nulls on Rx

Most amateur phased arrays have the elements far enough apart that getting a "superdirective array" (which is what a high performance Yagi, particularly with 4-5 elements) is hard. Superdirective arrays have coupling among the elements and stored energy in the array, and most simple phasing schemes don't do that well. You're not going to be getting 8-9 dBi from a conventional 4-square. But then, a 9dBi 80meter Yagi is a behemoth.

The background noise is high enough on the low bands that you don't need a really hot ADC for the SDR approach, so a low cost 4-8 channel system isn't hard to put together. I don't know if you could do it with RTL-SDR USB or pods at $20 each, but it's in that ballpark, say $50/channel. (the SDRPlay is $150) After that it's software, which, once someone develops it, is potentially free.

A nice approach would be a lumped LC band select filter in front of the cheap ADC (so you don't have to worry about BC and SW interference), maybe with a low noise preamp. And in fact, why even use the same antennas.. on receive, a short whip and a preamp would work.