Re: [TowerTalk] RF in the shack

To: "Timothy Holmes" <taholmes160@gmail.com>, "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>, <HamRadioHelpGroup@yahoogroups.com>, <ham-antennas@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF in the shack
From: "Gary J - N5BAA" <qltfnish@omniglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 09:06:36 -0600
Check for ground loops in your station grounding.

73,

Gary J
N5BAA

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Holmes
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:30 AM
To: Tower Talk ; HamRadioHelpGroup@yahoogroups.com ; ham-antennas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF in the shack

Hi Folks:

Spent quite a bit of time in the ARRL SSB DX INTERNATIONAL contest this
weekend, and as a whole, the station preformed pretty well. I do have a
couple questions that came up as the weekend progressed.

1. It seems that I have some issues with RF in the shack – Im running a 3
element tribander at 35 feet (practically directly over head of the shack)
and a 125 foot dipole fed with just north of 31 feet of ladderline
(technically its window line bought from AES before they closed – the stuff
in the brown plastic insulation with windows in the line). There is a LDG
4:1 Balun fed by about 20 feet or so of coax that feeds the window line,
and the balun is connected to my LDG AT200Pro Autotuner. My Rig is an
IC706mkIIG running barefoot at 100w.

The symptoms that I am having are as follows:

on some frequencies waveyness on the LCD computer monitor
the 706 does not like to operate with the front panel extension cable in
place, it shuts down when I key up
occasionally, the tuner will show a reading event though I am using the
Tribander
My Father’s computer speakers at the other end of the house relay my
signals QUITE efficiently
the touch lamp in the living room goes nuts when I transmit.

Im not really sure what other information you may need to help me
troubleshoot and solve these problems, but I would appreciate any help I
can get. Hamvention is coming up, so if I need some parts, I might be able
to get them there, also, DX Engineering is just down the road, and I am
ALWAYS happy for an excuse to go there HI, HI.

Thanks in advance for your help

TIM
W8TAH
--