Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 11:12:53 -0700
The tapered line concept is actually simple and logical. My LPDA antenna
uses one which I pulled apart to inspect when I was constructing it. The
outside diameter of the coax stays constant, in my case it is 1 5/8" EIA air
dielectric aluminum tube, but the center conductor consists of brass tube
whose diameter decreases in linear sections. One constant diameter brass
tube will go for a few feet, and then a smaller tube is fitted into the
larger one, and brazed. That section continues for another few feet, and
then another transition happens. I measured the ID of the outside tube, and
the OD of the inner conductor at the final end point of the tapered section
to calculate the final Z0 which is around 80 Ohms. Of course it starts out
at the input to the antenna as 50 Ohms. This transmission line (and the
antenna) can handle 50,000 Watts PEP. When I used a VNA in the time domain
mode, I could see each of the transitions in the distance vs impedance plot.

-Doug
W6DSR