[TowerTalk] Yagi Mechanical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi Mechanical
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 10:20:44 -0700
How many of you folks have used the latest software version of DX
engineering... yagi mechanical ?
YM  spits out everything from windload of what ever you are modeling, to
weight, to costs, total length,
res freq,  tq imbalance on a boom, how ot fix that issue, max wind speed, you
name it.  Although a total of
6 x different wind specs can be used, upon talking to a few ant makers, they
all use the.. no spec  option,
which is what you get in a wind tunnel. Its a bit more stringent than the 222-C
spec.

Its an eye opener to say the least, as you can juggle all sorts of tubing
schedules around, up to 20 diameters,
changing OD, ID, changing to any wall thickness, and stuff like  adding inner
re-enforcement liners.  Or doing different
splice techniques, like a plane swedge, or an inner sleeve, or an outer sleeve,
or both.   This can be done on both the boom and any ele.

One caveat, they list  6063-T832 as  35 ksi yield strength, when it is actually
39 ksi.   6061-T6 is 40 ksi yield. Easily corrected,
as you can enter any number you want.

You can also add any amount of ice to the mix, then see the results asap, like
how much wind it will handle, with XXX
ice on it.   Or see how much additional  sag occurs  with XXX ice.

Play around with it long enough, and you can readily either modify any existing
design, beefing it up quite a bit, without
adding hardly any additional weight,  or  design an ele or boom from  scratch.
 It will show you where all the weak links in
the chain are.   It will also spit out sag at the boom or ele tips, and also
the horizontal deflection of an ele or boom, when
either is broadside to the wind...and provide numbers for any wind speed you
enter.   Or default to the max horz deflection
for an ele or boom, at V max..which is the max speed for an ele or boom.   Will
also show you the effects  of adding either
an overhead truss on a boom or ele...as far as reducing sag.... or show the
effects on horz deflection, if side guying is used on a
boom or ele.  Or the effects of various length mounting plates..on either an
ele..or boom.

An eye opener, when plugging in hb yagi designs from the 70s and 80s..and also
stuff like old hy-gains and telrex and wilsons from years ago.
At the very least, it is cheap entertainment.  In a practical sense, places
where I intended to re-enforce, I find out after using the software,
was a waste of effort, and bought me nothing. Meanwhile the software spat out
where the real problem area actually was, which then makes
it easy to fix.

If designing from scratch, the idea is to design an ele , such that you get max
bang for the buck, with the least windload and weight.
I designed and built a pair of  17.5 ft long T bar capacity hats..... b4 I
bought the software, dumb move on my part.  With some minor
tweaking on the software,  I managed  to increase the wind survivability by a
substantial amount, and only increasing weight by a
miniscule amount.. like just .4 lb per T bar.   My latest creation weighs
exactly 2.5 lbs, and is good for 122 mph, and sags just 2 inches at the tips.
Using readily available tubing in 3 and 6 ft lengths, I also ended up wasting
zero tubing in the process.  Software was cheap, runs on windows,
and they provide for automatic updates.   So far, so good.  What it wont do is
factor in the weight from rivets, nuts + bolts, hose clamps etc, etc, so the
total sag
number will be a hair more than what it depicts.

Jim   VE7RF