Re: [TowerTalk] Polarity question..on a dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polarity question..on a dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 18:07:29 -0700
On Fri,3/31/2017 5:38 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I have had temporary dipoles touch branches and there was no issue however
the areas touching were closer to the dipole center than the ends. So if you
can avoid having the ends touch it may work with regular THHN wire.

For a while, I had a 160M dipole that came in contact with redwood branches at one end. I regularly ran it close to legal limit. When I dropped it to tweak lengths, I saw that the THHN wire insulation was scorched.

I agree that this is unlikely to occur at contact points not so close to the ends where voltages are low enough to not arc or couple to the vegetation.

73, Jim K9YC