Re: [TowerTalk] COPPER TAPE

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] COPPER TAPE
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 14:53:03 -0700
On 4/5/17 2:16 PM, AA6DX - Mark wrote:
This stuff  MUST  have some great applications – tower, antenna, rig?
73  Mark AA6DX
https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Conductive-Adhesive-4inch-36yards/dp/B01CH4LYZ6/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_596a_478c2427?smid=AQFE7Z17MUAUB&pf_rd_p=af76a610-c28c-4f12-9308-ccc69eba596a&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=8MCWHF7MFVJSMAFWYJBK

We use lots of that at work at JPL. there's several kinds, some with conductive adhesive, some with a sort of cross hatch pattern.

You can use it around waveguide flange joints, or for covering a seam in a shielding box. You can wrap it around a multiconductor cable as a "expedient shield" (e.g. around power and control lines that are radiating). Heck, I've built little shielded boxes with copper foil tape around a PCB.

It also makes a nice gasket material which is soft and conductive, so when you torque the fasteners, it makes good contact.

The only real issue is that it's also a remarkably effective knife, especially after you've peeled the adhesive backing.

You can get it as 3M part 1181, comes in lots of widths

To keep this moderately antenna related, I've used it to make a helical antenna (spiraled on a plastic pipe form) and to make a dipole and a Yagi (on paper, and you could roll it up when done)