[TowerTalk] Kilovac S05FJA238, DPST-NO in MFJ catalog

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Kilovac S05FJA238, DPST-NO in MFJ catalog
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 10:05:11 -0700
##  This item is on page 88  of the latest on line MFJ / Ameritron catalog.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/catalog.php     Anybody know anything about these
Kilovac relays ??   Ok,   I cant find em in the KILOVAC master listing, nor on
the gigavac site, nor the Jennings site.   In fact none of those 3 x vac relay
makers even list such a thing as a DPST-NO  vac relay.     I have an
application  where a SPST-NO  vac relay would be ideal... on the REF + DIR of
my 40m yagi, to shunt out a coil, to switch from CW to SSB.

This  DPST-NO kilovac relay listed by MFJ, would work.  I would just parallel
the NO contacts..and also the COM contacts.  Then I end up with redundant
contacts and also double the RF current ratings.  I need something 100%
bombproof for this application, as I cant get to the REF + DIR without a man
lift..and tower cranked down.  Plan was to install one of these in a nema box,
along with the pair of flat strap coils.  Top of each coil goes to each side of
the insulator.   Bottom of each coil is bonded together.     Relay contacts
would be wired to the top of each coil. With no coil V applied, coils are in
the circuit and on CW. Energized, both coils are shunted..and on SSB.  So even
if the vac relay coil crapped out, the default would be the lower, cw portion
of the 40m band.

$20.00  for a brand new Kilovac  DPST-NC is a bargain..provided they are built
right.   I dont see any Ameritron amp, nor qsk box that even used this relay.
Normal deal would be to use a SPDT vac relay on the output of an amp.

Jim   VE7RF

These vacuum relays are
ideal for amplifier QSK
switches. Contacts are capa-
ble of carrying 10 Amps and
break down voltage is 5 kV.

08-8100, $19.95.

Kilovac S05FJA238, DPST-NO, contact form, 2A,
5kV rating between contacts, current is 10A DC or 5A RF, 12 VDC coil
voltage and 500 Ohm coil resistance.