Re: [TowerTalk] tower base rod weatherproofing

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w9zv@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower base rod weatherproofing
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:23:55 -0400
>  I have some non-galvanized bolts/rods embedded into a  concrete base for
a short tower mounting plate.

>  What would you recommend to coat them in to keep  corrosion/rust demons
away?

    You've got 2 things to consider: the bolts in the  concrete and the
part of the bolts above the concrete pad. Frank, W3LPL,  recommends using
roofing tar on the bottom part. Some sort of coating on the  above pad part
would
suffice; e.g. cold galvanizing paint or any kind of  paint. You might have
to refresh it every couple of years but rust won't stand  much of a chance.
There are other compounds (the aforementioned Never  Seize, WD-40, etc.) but
they are pretty thin and would wash off in short order.  You could use some
grease - it'd be fairly tenacious - but then you should  double-nut the
bolts since the grease will decrease the friction holding the  bolts.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH