Re: [TowerTalk] Interaction potential Hex and 40 m dipole

To: "Guy Olinger" <k2av@contesting.com>, "Mpridesti" <mpridesti@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interaction potential Hex and 40 m dipole
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 08:28:03 -0400
Indeed "unaffected SWR" absolutely does not mean the pattern isn't affected!! I tested an M2 4 el 40 (their 40M4LLDD) at 37' with a 6 element 15 at 12' (1/4 wave so high enough) ... with the booms at 90 degrees the 15 had normal FB (range tested) ... with them inline it was GONE! Completely gone. HUGE impact and that was spaced 25' away. The SWR - changed - from say a 1.1:1 at best to a 1.3:1 ... so obviously one could easily say "ah its fine - the SWR essentially did not change" ... WRONG.

If you do the model generally a 40 and a 20 will have some impact - the FB will always be the first to go - and in this case it might mean a degradation of 5 db or so .... gain is the least impacted with essentially no to maybe 1/2 db change - SWR is next in line but as noted above it ISN'T a good test variable.

The X40N's had their linear loading spaced at a distance such that it divorced the sections on 15 meters. Testing shows that it pushes the resonance close to if not in to 17M .... likewise when I designed a stub to be used on the 40M4LLDD which worked to move it away from 15 - but pushed it to 17M. Optibeam's OB4-40, which I have (sold the M2) has both proper distance to the loading element (in their case a coil) as well as a stub. It shows no impact on 15 or at least small enough that I've not been able to measure a degradation on the FB on 15.

I'd say you'd have a 100% chance SOMETHING is going to be impacted on a 5 band hex beam. The amount will vary.... for most they happily move along knowing they have the antennas...

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Guy Olinger