[TowerTalk] Winds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winds
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 12:42:42 -0400
My place out in KH6 is an example of how much stronger the wind is up top.

I live on a very steep slope facing the tradewinds, which normally blow at an
average of 12-15 MPH.  When it is blowing this hard it is impossible to raise
or lower antennas.  So any raising or lowering must be done at lower speed
levels.

Why, when the wind is only 5-6 MPH it is usually closer to 15 MPH at the top of
a 90 foot tower.  It is amazing how at the base you feel almost no wind but it
quickly picks up once you get about 20 feet or so.  I've had many 200 ft towers
on the mainland but have never experienced such a big difference in surface and
top of the tower speeds.

Being on a steep upslope is the reason, I'm sure.

73  Bill KH7XS