[TowerTalk] Cams

To: <towertalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cams
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 12:51:35 -0700
If I may I'd like to take the external ethernet protection question a step farther.

I want to mount a cam outside on the west end of my rooftop. Most camera's that seem to be within a reasonable price range have poor resolution specs or very restricted features. Don't know how police can get much from many of the images that show up on TV which are of such low resolution. The images seem almost useless.

Would be interested in input from any of you who have done a 24/7 setup with a reasonably high resolution but moderately priced cam. I'd also like the ability to do timelapse. Wire connection seems best considering all the RF in the vicinity. I want to primarily orient view to the west out over the ocean. Do have to contend with lots of wind, rain and salt air.

Frankly, I know little about this subject, other than what small amount I've read. Experience of others would be a better input means.

Suggestions from any of you on the best place to start or info on some successfully working setups would be appreciated. Since this is quite a bit off from tower stuff, we probably should take this to a direct contact vs cluttering TowerTalk.

Don W7WLL