Re: [TowerTalk] Snap-on Ferrites

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Snap-on Ferrites
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 23:24:50 -0400

> Does that include eight-turn chokes on Biggest Clamp-on ferrites?

*ALL* snap-ons are inferior to similarly sized "solid" toroids.  The
split reduces the ability of the magnetic flux to move through the
core because the gap at even the most highly polished split(s).

I don't have the numbers at my finer tips but one can certainly look up
the specifications of similar split and non split cores (same material,
same size) for a better understanding of the phenomena.  Look at Jim's
"cookbook" and compare the effectiveness of chokes made with solid vs.
snap-on cores for another set of data points.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV