Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Interesting Site

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Interesting Site
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 23:38:03 -0000
You know I keep reading the stuff on those and this pdf started to make some
sense on what the thinking is about those porcupine things.  First, they will
NOT prevent lightning strikes, that has been proven... for those of you not
interested in some other thoughts stop reading NOW!

This reference pdf talks about dissipating static from airplanes and from van
de graaff generators.  In both of those cases I will agree that spiky
dissipators will work.  In both airplanes and van de graaff generators the
surface area is relatively small, in the generator case maybe a couple square
feet, in airplanes maybe several hundred or a couple thousand square feet of
charged surface.  In either case the accumulated charge from either wind or
friction charging is relatively small and builds up slowly... on planes because
they are insulated by lots of air, and on the generator because of the
insulated post.  In either case it is fairly easy to cause a flow of ions that
dissipates the charge, in the case of the airplane its not even necessary to
get rid of all the charge, just enough to prevent corona around the antennas.
A dissipator may actually do something to help prevent static build up from
wind blown snow or sand, has anyone tested them for that??  a tower being
 charged by wind blown snow or sand may work more like an airplane since the
amount of charge built up is relatively small.

The problem comes when you try to scale that up to dissipate the charge induced
from a convective storm.  In the case of convective storms (with or without
lightning) there is a large pool of charge in the base of the cloud often
several thousand feet up.  this large charge attracts the opposite charge on
the ground which is essentially an infinite source of charge being drawn toward
the cloud.  There is of course no way a dissipator can affect that charge
except very locally, and they may actually be good sources of the upward
streamer that connects with the downward leader resulting in a lightning stroke
to the dissipator itself.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373