Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning
From: Shawn Donley <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
Here's one documented case of lightning damage to concrete.  I had posted it
before but here's a repeat.

https://www.copper.org/applications/electrical/pq/casestudy/a6137/a6137.html

In this case a concrete guy anchor was damaged. But looking at the pictures,
this might have been caused by moisture entry due to surface cracking with the
lightning strike just finishing it off as the current pulse turned the moisture
into steam. Hard to say. I think the real question is if a lightning strike can
cause internal damage to a tower concrete foundation that you can not easily
detect.

N3AE