Re: [TowerTalk] Another Lightning Question

To: "Roger Parsons" <ve3zi@yahoo.com>, "Tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another Lightning Question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 18:48:52 -0700
## I assume some sort of 'bias-T' is used to inject..and extract the DCV to feed the 900 mhz amp ? If that is the case, then it would already have DC blocking on the coax ( and at both ends)... between shack and input to amp.... ( IE: up the tower). What I was talking about, was DC block cap between output of amp..and yagi. But dunno if that would buy you anything.... or not. The ICE brand arrestors use a gas tube in parallel with a torroid, then a series cap on the shack side. The back emf on the torroid is what fires off the gas tube.

## a gas tube on the input to amp... if blown, will then just dc short your vdc that feeds your amp.

## I',m wondering if you could install a DC block cap on the input..and perhaps output of the amp, but inside the amp itself ? But things get a bit dicey at 900 mhz..and unforgiving. 300' is a long piece of coax..and a long way to climb the tower.

Jim

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Parsons