Re: [TowerTalk] Getting Rid of the Birds

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Getting Rid of the Birds
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:55:24 -0500
Build a second, taller, non-conductive perch for the eagle. 😊

I love watching the osprey in nature.  My sister once lived in Lake Almanor
Peninsula, near Chester, CA.  Her husband built their home with a perfect
overlook of Lake Almanor.  During visits in the summer, I could see Ospreys
flying from their nests in tall pines, high above the lake, down to the lake
surface, scanning for fish.  When a fish was seen, the eagle would dive down to
the surface, and usually emerge with a fish, sometimes up to 3 feet long.

These are large (up to 6 foot wingspan), heavy (up to 3.5 pounds) birds.  I
live inland of the Gulf Coast, in Tomball, TX.  I do not see these birds here.
However, hawks and owls sometimes perch on my Yagi.  An occasional red headed
woodpecker pounds on the tower, perhaps calling for a mate.

So, in summary, I would stop operating, and watch the bird for a while, then
resume  operation when the bird leaves.  Of course, you can always make an
outside appearance, and the bird will likely leave the perch.  Unfortunately,
frequent cleaning of that spot will be required.

73, Keith NM5G