Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:03:09 -0700
I think the wiki advice is limited to deep groove ball bearings and is consistent with what I've seen in bearing catalogs i.e. ~20% of axial rating is ok for thrust in the size ball bearings I'm familiar with (<2" bore).

A spherical roller is designed to withstand angular shaft misalignment or deflection which would occur when the tower leans a bit under heavy load. OTOH, the top row of rollers aren't useful since all the load is downward. A deep groove ball bearing can't take much angular shaft misalignment. There are thrust spherical roller bearings with specified radial loads. They are in the SKF web site catalog. However, I suspect the bearing RTS uses is much more common, cheaper, is already mounted, and has Chinese knockoffs available.

I have to wonder if a spherical plain sleeve bearing might be a better choice since brinelling and fretting aren't a problem, but I've not looked at the specs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

Best to contact the manufacturer for the capacity of the bearing you want to use.

Grant KZ1W