Re: [TowerTalk] Adjustments to Tower Base Pier J-Bolts

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adjustments to Tower Base Pier J-Bolts
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:36:20 -0400
OK, but since Pirod's design spec, or instructions as it were, (and I love Pirod, believe me) is already faulty as you know, we are seeking after-the-fact solutions.

First, there is no need for the bottom nut to be 1.5" above the concrete for leveling purposes. Unless your concrete is slanted severely for some reason. Put all your nuts down to the concrete. Find the highest one. Bring the others up to that level. You know where I'm going, right? That's going to save you at least an inch or more.

Next, get rid of the lock washers. They are useless.

Next, disabuse yourself of the need for the 3" of threads showing on top of everything for *leveling*. Not needed. If your bottom nuts are level, you can get by with a 1/2" on top.

The critical task is to get the bottom nuts level. A laser level, or just a long straight edge and bubble level is all you need.

-Steve K8LX