Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff angle

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff angle
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:58:23 -0400
AH!

There it is - sorry ... no that was my post, Gary ....

sorry for the confusion ... no what I was saying is that the top antenna ALONE is never (almost) better than BIP (or all in phase). The difference in angle between the TOP and BIP, for me 7° and 8°, generally is very small and the gain from the stack, if I remember from the model about 2.4db or so with a 2 stack, surpasses the very small increment one gets from having only the top antenna in play.

So we're in essence in agreement, I think, all in phase is the best option ... my point regarding the comment "top is never (rarely?) best" was if one were to make a selection switch for fast switching for comparisons - if you left off TOP ONLY as a selection, you'd not lose a single thing. That was all I meant by that. So indeed BIP (again for my 2 stack) is by far the favored selection on 20 meters and so far on testing, limited as its been since the tower only went up in late October of last year (2016) I've not seen a case where TOP is better than BIP. I do look for it still on LP contacts.

Now that stated I'd say this really is for a 2 stack ... with a 3 stack you see more of a difference between 3IP and TOP... and with a 4 stack as well ... so although with a 4 stack you might have just over 4 db gain with all in phase you'd have a AOR that was measurably lower with the top antenna alone. So as stated before YMMV...

but to my main and original point - if one is going to stack antenna, especially a 2 stack, I'd recommend going with a box that allows BOP. From modeling, from HFTA and from 'real world results' it has been a plus for me in this limited time (~9 months) I've had the system up.

Gary

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Shohet, KQ2M