Re: [TowerTalk] Original A3

To: Herb Krumich <wa2fgk@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Original A3
From: Raymond Benny <rayn6vr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:48:39 -0700
Herb,

I have an older A3 but do not know the power rating. I have found though,
that on hot days, 90+ degrees and continuous use, I start to see
fluctuations in my SWR when I am running 1.5 kw to the antenna. I stopped
running 1.5 kw and ran 1 kw to it and things are OK.

Later, I did take the antenna down and looked at the 20m TX traps and found
that there had been some arcing between the turns as evidenced by black
soot. I wire brushed the soot off and applied some varnish or something
like that and put it back together. Thinks were fine at 1 kw. At a later
time, I tried 1.5 kw again but stared seeing the SWR jump around. I
immediately lowered power to 1 kw,

Maybe others have gotten away with 1.5 kw, but I don't want to push it, so
I run 1 kw max to my A3.

GL & 73,

Ray,
N6VR

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com> wrote:

> My A3 is pretty close to original, purchased in 1982. I have upgraded it
> with stainless steel hardware, and a few of the traps have been replaced.
> It was, and still is, spec'd for lots of power. I don’t believe they
> changed the rating when going from A3 to A3S - in fact the only change was
> supposed to be in the use of stainless steel hardware.
>
> Good luck getting it down, but for what it is, it works pretty well.
>
> - Jack, W6FB
>

> > On Jul 23, 2017, at 11:27 AM, Herb Krumich via TowerTalk <
> towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was at a local hams QTH this morning, inspecting his old A3.I have no
> problems climbing, but this tower might be "climbing dumb"But here is my
> question.The traps on the antenna look smaller than todays tribanders.The
> antenna might be 30 years old or more.Does anyone know if there were power
> limits on the original A3 ?The antenna might need a bucket truck to be
> lowered, but that's another issueThanksHerb K2LNS

Ray,
N6VR