Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Aluminum tower on 20 ft flatbed

To: John Birken <k2sfs73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Aluminum tower on 20 ft flatbed
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 08:31:08 -0500
John,

I occasionally ship stuff using Uship but try not to unless absolutely
necessary as service is VERY hit or miss.  The carriers run the gamut from
great professionals to total shysters and you usually don't find out which
until too late.  Most recently, I needed a piece of equipment moved from
MSP to TN and went thru 3 different carriers before finding one that
actually showed up for the pickup.

One missed numerous pickup appointments over several days and I found out
that he was hundreds of miles away from MSP heading the opposite
direction.  But still making unrealistic promises for the pickup.

Another was broke down in Chicago and agreed to pick up the next few days
but sort of forgot to tell me that he wouldn't have his truck repaired for
several weeks.  All together, it took 5 weeks to get the machine from MSP
to my shop... The guy that brought it, picked it up one morning and
delivered it the next day.

Uship was very helpful in canceling the two non-performing carriers without
a lot of hoopla.

The guy that actually brought it down picked it up on time, the first time
and had the machine here at my shop at the exact time that he promised days
before.  He was from the MSP area and made regular trips down to this area
every few weeks.

AND expect to get deluged with offers from fly-by-night brokers.  Most of
these brokers don't even own a truck but take loads, promise delivery dates
and then try to find a starving hot-shot trucker to carry it.  And usually
fail.  I learned that the hard way on previous shipments.  Now, the first
question that I ask is if they are a broker or actual carrier/driver.  Also
study the reviews of your selected carrier.

I typically check local trucking companies first to see if they will have a
truck going where I need it.  Sometimes you can get a good deal if they
don't have a full load coming your way (especially if you are willing to
wait a week or two).  Or look for a local hot-shot carrier.  You could also
ship it on a regular common carrier.  It is not horribly expensive if you
shop rates.  I typically use Estes because they do a good job locally but
others are good as well.

Good luck,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN