Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 01:38:51 -0400
Rudy, It sounds as though you are tuning the verticals while they are
coupled in the array.  I always tune the individual elements in an isolated
environment.  Then pull up the whole array to see how it plays.  You need to
de-tune the other 3 elements while you are tuning each element.  This can be
accomplished a number of ways.  If it's a wire, the easiest thing to do is
just drop the wires down by at least 50% so that the coiling up wire is no
longer resonant in the 80M band.

I am not a 4 square expert but I have built several phased vertical arrays
for 80 and 160.  I always use chock feed baluns.  I believe DX Engineering's
4 square kits use the same.

Ed  N1UR