Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter wire vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter wire vertical
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:34:38 -0700
On 9/13/17 2:28 PM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:

All this talk about 80 meter verticals got me thinking.

For a wire vertical, suppose instead of a single wire, we replaced it with two
wires separated by about three or four inches, connected at the bottom and top.

Would the bandwidth be increased?
Yes
Would the resonant frequency of the antenna be lowered?
maybe - difficult to tell off hand without modeling
Would there be any advantage to using the two wires?
wider SWR bandwidth, less sensitivity to surroundings.
Even better is to use more wires and make a "cage dipole" or a "fat dipole"
Would there be any change in impedence?
Yes, particularly off resonance.  the reactive term is smaller magnitude

If you take it to an extreme you make a bicone (dipole) or conical (apex at the ground) or a discone (apex up with a ground plane above the cone) - those are incredibly wideband