Re: [TowerTalk] Tri ex pulleys

To: Joe K2UF <joe@k2uf.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri ex pulleys
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:22:09 -0700
A 47' Tri-Ex crank up I rebuilt had Boeing surplus sheaves in it from the factory. I think they were designed to guide flight control surface cables so quite nicely made. The ball bearings were Boeing specials, not in any catalog, but amazingly I found what I needed on ebay! The Boeing sheaves were perfect for the job since the wide race bearings were held in with upset sheave flanges on the outer race to lock them centered. Those needed a Dremel and carbide burr to remove so the bearing could be pressed out.

The bearing is marked Fafnir K6. Dimensions are 0.375 bore x 1.437 od x 0.470 wide race x 0.619 wide inner race. I see K6's on ebay that are very different. No guarantees that this is the bearing in your tower.

If Tashjian doesn't have replacements, then you might temporarily get going with an lightweight oil soak to loosen the dry grease, but if they are rust locked up not much choice but making new sheaves, probably with a sintered bronze sleeve bearing. Ideally a flanged bearing on one side and a bronze washer on the other to keep the sheave centered in its holder.

Grant KZ1W