Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:44:41 -0500
Each of the three galvanized legs of my new tower bolts to galvanized steel coming up out of the concrete base. There are multiple bolts per leg.  I intend to add stainless steel tabs (like a washer) to one of the bolts at each of the three legs. The "washer-like" tab will extend out into space sufficiently to be drilled with a pair of holes to  accept bolts which will be used to secure copper strap in a clamping arrangement to maximize contact area.  Short of using zinc strap (never actually considered), I haven't thought of a better way to control dissimilar metal corrosion.  My experience in marine electronics has included this sort of arrangement to good advantage and effect.

The galvanized tower will only contact stainless steel and the copper strap (you could use wire if preferred) only contacts the stainless steel.  ...and now comes the part where experienced folks have differed.  Some use water proof coatings over all areas of contact of dissimilar metals and some don't.  Most of these applications were seagoing and subject to salt encrustation. Fresh water rinse on the unprotected connections  was advised to the operators but as you can imagine that didn't happen in all instances.  Personally, I lean toward coating the connections.

Yes, this is anecdotal evidence and was not published in a peer reviewed journal specific to the area of interest. There is no warranty expressed or implied as to the the fitness of purpose of any of the above which is offered solely for entertainment purposes to adults except were void due to local laws. ;) ;) YMMV

Patrick        NJ5G