[TowerTalk] More information about my problem; . Re:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More information about my problem; . Re:
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:23:37 -0700
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:14:52 +0000
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david@aslinvc.com>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Heliax acting strangely: Help?

<I still have a one foot length we removed, hanging on the workshop wall. It's
there as a reminder that even professionally and correctly installed outside
devices can be the source of trouble over time - and to follow a logical
troubleshooting path at all times.  I'm sure a TDR would have got us there
faster...
73, David G3WGN  M6O  WJ6O

##  I suspect if a wattmeter was temp inserted at top of tower, you would have
been in for a rude awakening.   A   buddy had water in his LDF-4  heliax.   It
had gotten in at the top of the rotating tower, where it was  spliced into
another piece of
heliax going out along the boom. And both were the flexible version of .5 inch
heliax.   He  had previously removed the connector at the bottom of the tower,
where it was plugged into the hb remote switch box..and out came a bit  of
water.
That entire length was ruined.  Water had gotten in the top, and eventually
migrated down the entire length.   Connectors at each end were  7-16 Dins.    I
have heard a few water ingress stories here in the past..on tower talk.... with
folks using the flexible version of  .5 inch heliax.

Jim  VE7RF