Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Wind survival + load ratings... vs reality.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Wind survival + load ratings... vs reality.
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 16:53:32 -0400
On 10/31/2017 04:12 PM, Jeff wrote:
I suppose guys don't generally give the win ratings much thought - until you
have a "wind event" which brings a bunch of your stuff to the ground.

I think you're right Jeff. I never expected to see winds in excess of 60 mph here and that only on rare occasions, say once every five years or so. Yesterday I recorded 70 mph gusts. For a while I thought the TH-11DX, 6 meter long yagi and 2 meter long yagi would surely rip apart, or the mast would bend, or even the whole (overloaded) tower come down. I was very lucky! It's all up and nothing broken! Two of the antennas slipped on the mast and the mast slipped in the rotator but that is minor. I am of the "don't believe in pinning" camp as I suspect unless one has REALLY heavy duty stuff it only leads to more catastrophic damage.

Paul N1BUG