Re: [TowerTalk] Some Unique Heavy Lifting....

To: <kurt@k7nv.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some Unique Heavy Lifting....
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 07:56:23 -0500
After owning a station in Aruba I am familiar with the constant wind rocking
the antenna back and forth 24 hours a day.  I had to be careful when working on
the tower to keep my ropes and other light object from blowing into the
neighbor’s pool.  There was no acid rain (or much rain at all during most
months) however the salt in the air caused serious corrosion issues to the
tower and aluminum antenna sections, especially aluminum was in contact with
stainless steel. I used Phillystran guy cables and I had to change the Big
Grips every four years.  Most of the station in the Caribbean are pretty
modestly sized and they still require a lot of maintenance. I am not aware of
any 80m beams in Zone 8 or 9.  So, I can appreciate the work and expense
involved in building and maintaining a massive antenna farm in paradise.

73

John KK9A – P40A