Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square advice

To: <cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square advice
From: "Jeff" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:37:27 -0600
I'm looking at the exact same scenario Bill.

I have been poking around using AutoEZ (a front end for EZNEC) where the guy has cooked up a comprehensive model for the 4-square inclusive of a hybrid combiner. Once you get the model figured out the program provides HUGE HUGE flexibility in whatever variables you want to kick the virtual tires on without having to go out and do the considerable leg work to try out an idea. Take a look here if you are interested in seeing what modeling will do for you.

http://ac6la.com/aecollection8.html

From my fiddling around with AutoEZ, there is a nice improvement in the dump
power related bandwidth using any sort of fatter element. I did not look at any spacing as small as yours (mine was 1') because I could not have confidence in being able to keep the wires from twisting here in the local frequent winds. A pair of wires separated into a rectangle shape spaced 1/2/3/4' were all about the same in producing the desired broad-banding. So I would say in theory going this route pays off.

The hassle is in cooking up a method to keep the wires from twisting around each other. My mechanical idea is to bring them up to a point at the top where the rope support is, and have them fat near the ground with the thought that you want the "fat" part of the element near the current max. That triangle shape makes construction simple as well.

Good luck

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie