Re: [TowerTalk] Ground wire between tower and ground stakes (corrected)

To: Chris Hoelzle <choelzle@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground wire between tower and ground stakes (corrected)
From: Dick's <rcblumen@centurylink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:46:49 -0500
(Corrected due to typos)

Hello Chris:

As we write, I am presently connecting all my 10 ground rods with 2 awg
stranded Cu using Harger cad welds. I received a lot of input from people and
have looked at products that allow one to bolt wires to the tower base as well
as clamping systems.

I chose to go with using thin Cu sheeting 3” wide clamped onto each tower leg
and gently arced down to the ground rod at each tower leg. The reason I chose
to do that was because lighting doesn’t like to take 90 degree turns as would
happen if wires or sheeting were attached at the bottom bolts.

KF7P sells all kinds of clamps and Cu sheeting to do that.

My plan, while ungainly (especially when I have to lower my tower horizontally
to work on the antenna array) will have the Cu sheeting attach to the ground
rod below the cad weld. I plan to surround the tower concrete with gravel so I
can access the copper sheeting clamps in the future to inspect the connection.

If you decide to go in this direction, make sure you put stainless shim stock
between the copper sheeting and the tower as well as anti corrosion paste
before clamping.

It sure won’t be pretty, but I’m a functional guy.

Dick, K0CAT

——-