Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:53:33 -0800
Exactly right!  NA6O reported exactly the same comment to me in private email. Z is not a single-valued number, it is a variable and it is complex.

I'm currently in the middle of a project measuring chokes wound on the relatively new double-sized #31 toroid, and an important thing I'm learning is that the "double-humped" curve shape that results from dimensional resonance in the range of 3-5 MHz disappears below that range. In addition, the loss component also falls at lower frequencies, so as a result, chokes wound to cover 160M, for example, exhibit much higher Q, and thus much narrower bandwidth. I'm currently looking for a different ferrite mix whose loss vs frequency characteristics are optimized a decade lower in frequency for use on the LF bands.

73, Jim K9YC