Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm cable power handling ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm cable power handling ?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 04:51:26 -0800
On 1/6/18 2:09 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 1/6/2018 1:41 AM, Martin Sole wrote:
Anyone have an idea of the 30MHz power handling capability for RG6A/U and Belden 9104?

RG-numbers are essentially meaningless -- the tell us nothing more than approximate size and Zo. The Belden data sheet

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/9104_techdata.pdf

tells us that 9104 is a CATV cable, CCS center, shield is Al braid and Al foil. Your guess is as good as mine for power handling. It's designed for low power CATV systems where the signals are mostly UHF. It tells us that DCR (resistance at DC) of the center is 4.45 ohms/100 ft, and 1.2 ohms for the shield. These values will increase (a lot) with frequency.

My WAG (Wild Assed Guess) is that these cables will be OK for 100W into matched loads, but I'd be cautious with high power or poorly matched loads. And remember -- the match that matters is that between the antenna and the line.

0.9 dB/100ft, so 0.009 dB/ft - that's about 0.2% 1000W * 0.002 is 2W/ft

As Jim noted, that's in a matched system - Think of it as a series of little resistors - 2 W/Ft is about 0.2 watts/inch. I think that will get noticeably warm.

Another way to look at it is that the center conductor is 20 gauge (copper coated steel). 1 kW at 75 ohms is 4 amps rms. Are you comfortable running 4A through a steel 20 gauge wire with 1/8" of polyethylene foam insulation?