Re: [TowerTalk] Metal Roof

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Metal Roof
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 01:13:40 -0500
> Another point. IM follows the square of the signal strength
> that excites
> it, so reducing TX power by 3 dB reduces the IM by 6 dB.

I believe you're speaking of a second-order mix.  Third-order mixes tend to
be more problematic in a repeater installation as they yield "in-band" mix
products.  Third-order mix amplitude varies as the cube of the fundamentals,
so a 1 dB change in the power of a mix contributor will result in a 3 dB
change in the third-order mix product amplitude.

Aside from potential PIM issues, the imperfect joint contact in a metal roof
is almost guaranteed to generate broadband noise when excited by a strong RF
source (such as a repeater transmitter).  That is, it doesn't take a second
(or third or fourth) signal to cause problems.

                                --- Jeff WN3A

---