Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Aluminum

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Aluminum
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:23:34 -0600
Wish I had better info for you but oh well...  I watched a demo at a swap meet years ago. A guy was selling alloy rods About 1/8 inch in diameter about a foot long.  Using a regular propane torch (not special high temp gas) he repaired holes he had punched in an aluminum soda can. He "soldered" several things together without using any separate flux.  He made it look easy and the repairs looked quite good.  I think maybe there was something in the rods that acted like a flux. I bought some but never had the occasion to repair any soda cans and don't know where (25-30 years later) they are.

Maybe someone else has more definite info on those rods.

Have you seen this?  https://www.wikihow.com/Solder-Aluminum

Patrick        NJ5G