Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage Breakdown For Enameled Wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage Breakdown For Enameled Wire
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:51:08 -0800
On 1/29/2018 9:36 AM, Edward Mccann via TowerTalk wrote:
On the other hand have used the Salas-recommended wire (see link below) with no
problems at HV.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Current%20Balun%20RevA.pdf

While this design "won't cause problems," it also won't do anything useful. That's because Fair-Rite #61 material makes a lousy choke at HF because it's not lossy at HF. Study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

And let us know wazzup with your new project NOT using RG-142 and the stainless
steel conductor.

The project I'm working on is for legal on 160 and 80M. The silver-coated, copper coated steel center of RG-142 is fine at VHF and UHF thanks to skin effect, but the steel causes losses to increase at lower frequencies as compared to copper or silver coated copper.

Thanks to all for the great advice offered. I've received several great recommendations for products and sources.

73, Jim K9YC