Re: [TowerTalk] Where Do I go?

To: "'K5CG'" <k5cg@hamoperator.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where Do I go?
From: "John Langdon" <jlangdon1@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 06:28:10 -0600
One lesson from hard experience: find out which covenants and restrictions
are actually filed at the courthouse for the specific parcel you are
interested in.  Never depend on what a realtor or salesperson tells you or
even a hard copy they give you.

This can cut both ways. In a development with several phases, the
restrictions may change or errors can be made.  I found one development
where phase 3 of 4 actually filed no restrictions whatsoever, even though
everyone said it has the same restrictions as the other sections. I also
found one where the lot I wanted had more restrictions than the others.

In a new development, where the developer is still functioning as the
Architectural Control Committee, you can make approval of your antenna a
precursor to your sales contract - i.e., don't close on the land until your
proposed antenna system is approved in writing and you have the document in
hand and filed in the courthouse. Even in this case, be sure to get all
building permits squared away if they are required.

I tried 'co-existing' with an HOA once. They considered a "reasonable
accommodation" was a telescoping tower and small tri-bander, painted sky
blue, with the understanding that it would be kept down below roof level
until one hour after sunset and cranked back down one hour before sunrise,
and that the HOA had the right to impose additional "quiet hours" at their
sole discretion if there were any interference complaints. What a deal!
That's why I now have a remote station location.

BTW in most locales, the neighbors won't have to sue you. The HOA can impose
a daily fine for a violation and file lien against your house for payment.
Your mortgage holder will not be pleased. Even if you own the house
outright, you can't sell it with that lien in place.

73 John N5CQ