Re: [TowerTalk] Al to Al seizure

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Al to Al seizure
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:43:01 -0500
Depends on:
1) How badly the pieces are fused.
2) How valuable the pieces are.
3) How much patience you have.

I had some stuck aluminum tower sections that I spent considerable time on many years ago. Almost gave up, but then as a final assault kept the joints soaked with penetrating oil soaked rags for a couple days, then heated the outer tubes with a torch, and with a center mounted scissor jack pushing against 2x4's got them freed up without bending the tower horizontals too badly.

With antenna elements (or tower sections for that matter) a reasonable way to provide pull apart force would be some choker slings, a come-along, and a couple trees.

-Steve K8LX