Re: [TowerTalk] Spun director

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spun director
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:06:07 -0800
My fixes on two A4S -

1. straighten the C shaped boom clamps so the ears are parallel, I did
this with a vise.
2. drill cross holes in near the tip the ears for long 6-32 bolts. Make sure to
leave space for the u-bolt.
Tighten the 6-32's so the ears won't splay out when tightened on the boom. Use
nylocks.
3. I needed to replace the fiberglass center as the sun ate it up.
4. If the boom is deformed from tightening the driven element u-bolts then cut
out and
replace that section with triple sleeving.  The end elements had this
problem but with plenty of Penetrox and mallet against a wood block I
drove a Al tubing sleeve inside the boom on both ends.
5. I also had to cut out the center of the reflector, triple sleeve it
since it was bent from u-bolt tightening.

These two are now Field Day beams and have been used for FD for a while.  Overly
enthusiastic assemblers caused most of the problems.  The element/boom
clamps are a weak design to start with and my elements did rotate in normal
use.  Yes, the boom wall thickness is
not great.

 Grant KZ1W